Researchers at Arizona State University have developed an upgrade to a laparoscopic simulator currently on the market. The innovation includes adding a software package and video equipment to the system that allows the system to capture video of the training work with computer algorithms that can provide feedback. The feedback tells the trainee where his work can improve. The trainee can compare his training sessions to other students and monitor his improvement. The system will maintain a database of expert surgeon’s work that the trainee can compare to his own work and see where he needs improvement. He can view his sessions as many times as he wishes on the video monitor.
- Training for diagnostic laparoscopy
- Medical schools that train new physicians
- Hospitals to offer continued education
Benefits and Advantages
- Lower Costs – Well-trained laparoscopic surgeons are able to perform out-patient surgeries and eliminate hospital stays.
- Better Results – Allows physicians to practice surgical skills in a low-risk environment.
- Retrofit – Innovation may adapt to existing equipment currently on the market.
For more information about the inventor(s) and their research, please see
Dr. Baoxin Li's directory webpage