Researchers at ASU have developed a method to optimize energy buffering while accounting for both short and long term variations by using a two-tier energy buffering and workload management framework with two types of ESDs. High power density capacitors quickly charge/discharge to leverage short term variation and high energy density batteries store large amounts of energy for long term duration. This method coordinates response times between power consumption and input workload to within minutes, maximizing the use of available renewable energy while reducing power demand. Results show that multi-tier energy buffering management could increase the utilization of renewable energy by 200%.
- Data Center Infrastructure Management
- Energy Buffering Optimization
Benefits and Advantages
- Effective – Potentially doubles the use of renewable energy.
- Efficient – Optimizes energy consumption in the presence of both short and long term variability.
- Lower Costs – Reduces draw off the power grid, especially during peak rate times.
For more information about the inventor(s) and their research, please see